Medical terms of breast augmentation is “ Mammoplasty ”. It is the surgery to increase breast size or repair the breast shape. It aims to reinforce the confidence to the person who has small breast size to have the perfect breast after giving birth. Some may have smaller breast size after giving birth. Moreover, it helps to repair the abnormal breast shape such as the patient who has cancer operation or breast tumor as well as to lift the saggy and flabby breast. Breast augmentation is most suitable for the person who needs to improve the breast. However, this type of surgery is not suitable for the unhealthy person or person who has congenital disease. There is no scientific citation to prove that breast augmentation with silicone bag increases the risk of breast cancer. In addition, pregnancy is the cause of breast size change and it affects the implanted breast. However, there is no report to prove that breast augmentation with silicone bag affects pregnancy. The patient can give the baby breast-feeding.
Preparing for Surgery
1. Inform about drug allergy, medicine or supplementary food currently in use before surgery.
2. Consult with doctor and inform surgeon if there is congenital disease such as Diabetes, Hypertension, Asthma, Heart disease. Do not stop taking the medicine for control blood pressure or diabetes as well as the medicine for congenital disease.
3. Have health check and breast check.
4. Stop taking aspirin, ibuprofen and Vitamin E for 2 weeks prior to surgery.
5. Stop smoking for 2 weeks before and after surgery
6. Prepare the shirt with the front button for the convenience.
Surgery and Types of Anesthetics
Anesthetic is used to allow the patient to sleep throughout the process. The breast implant is inserted either under the chest muscle or on the chest muscle. The incised wound that is smaller than 2 inches is on the crease under the armpit, around the nipple or on the breast base. The surgeon will make an opening under the breast or chest muscle to insert the breast implant. The surgery normally takes 1-2 hours.
Possible Complications or Risk after Surgery
1. No major problems. However, all types of surgery contains risk. Breast augmentation may cause blood congestion around the breast implant that may need to have operation or suction, infection and the misplace of breast implant. The important problem is the capsular contracture surrounds the silicone may hurt you or cause the abnormal shape of breast. The patient will be recommended to have regular massage to prevent this problem.
2. Have a numb on chest and nipple that will finally disappear.
Post-Surgery Treatment and Recovery
1. To quick recovery and to prevent the capsule, doctor will insert the water and blood tube draining to the chest which can be removed 3 days after surgery.
2. Hard works or exercises are not allowed during the first 4-6 weeks after surgery.
3. Wear the elastic strip until the further recommendation of the doctor.
4. The patient may feel tight and have a sore on the chest for few days after surgery.
5. Have suture in one week and the incised wound will disappear within 3-5 weeks.
Breast lift surgery is suitable for person who has sagging breast problem resulted from losing weight, breast change after pregnancy and loss elasticity, the person with the low areola and nipples and the pointed down nipples. Breast lift surgery has no effect on baby feeding. However, the surgery should be postponed if the patient has a plan to pregnant. In some cases, the doctor may consider the breast implant to increase the breast capacity in order to beautify and makes it looks more natural.
Surgery and Type of Anesthetic
The incision is in inverted T shape surrounds the areola in order to dress up the breast skin to fit the new breast position. The nipples will be lifted up. Then, pull the skin together and stitch the incision. The breast will be lifted up. Thus, the horizontal incised wound will be invisible under the breast on the crease. In general, the vertical incised wound will disappear without leaving scar. Anesthetic will be used with this type of surgery. The whole surgical process takes about 1-3 hours.
Post-Surgery Treatment and Recovery
1. Hard works or exercises are not allowed during the first 4-6 weeks after surgery.
2. Wear the elastic strip until the further recommendation of the doctor.
3. The patient may feel tight and have a sore on the chest for few days after surgery.
4. Doctor will make appointment for stitching off and check-up in one week. The incised wound will disappear within 3-5 weeks.
5. After surgery, the incised wound will be obvious because it is red. It will gradually fade away and finally leave only the white line scar. After 1-2 years, the wound will get better.
6. After breast lift surgery, there is the difference between the left and the right breast.
7. The patient will have a numb on the nipples which will disappear within 1-6 weeks. In some cases, it may takes more than one year to have full recovery.